Paul Wackell – Imagine Web Designs
Principal Website Designer – Marketing Consultant
I’ve reached the point where if I hear “I don’t have time too” whatever, one more time, I think I might hit myself in the head with a brick, or a frozen pound of butter!!! While I know some of you would actually pay money to see that, I’m sure it would actually be less painful than having well intended business advice ignored once again. I once bought the domain name ignoredconsultants.com on a lark in a moment of frustration after hearing from the third client that day that they don’t have time to write a blog for their business and don’t need one anyway.
While I’m only partly serious about the brick thing or the butter thing – (cholesterol you know – although if you hit yourself in the head with frozen butter does it count), I do find frustration with clients that are paying me for my advice and services, who default to the I don’t have time excuse at the drop of a hat. I find this to be particularly true when I recommend that clients write a blog.
Despite the litany of proven reasons (and it’s a long one) I present to clients as justification for them to develop a blog, the answer – is almost universally – I don’t have the time. To be honest, I used that very same excuse myself for over a year and a half before I finally got off my butt and did it. It seems I have been quite the procrastinator myself.
There are so many reasons that justify blogging for business and so few that actually justify not writing a blog, that I think the “I don’t have time” is a reflexive response. Below Ive listed some of the excuses I personally used to keep from blogging and how I over came them, and then some of the things that I was doing that allegedly kept me from having the time to blog.
Excuses – Solutions
- I don’t have time – we’ll explore this one later
- I don’t know how to blog – I read a blog on how to blog
- I can’t write (well) – I can think – I keep my blog informal and conversational – I’m not competing with Shakespeare or Dickens
- I have nothing to say – According to my friends I always have something to say – which is polite code for “would you shut the hell up for a minute”. Turns out when I really think about it, I do have lots to say
- I’m no Seth Godin – I’m not, and I don’t have be – besides I have better hair – but I do have years of experience in my field and that has value
- No one wants to hear what I have to say – That never stopped me before! If they don’t want to hear what I have to say – its their loss, they don’t have to read my blog – change the channel so to speak.
- What if someone disagrees with me – So what! After all, I’m always right!!
- I’m scared – Get over yourself and just do it.
Now lets look at the I don’t have time thing as it pertained to me. Turns out my average blog entry takes about 10 to 15 minutes tops. (So forgive me for grammar mistakes.) Where in my day could I find 10 to 15 minutes?
- While I wait for that first pot of coffee to brew in the morning
- While I wait for the second pot of coffee to brew in the mid morning
- While I wait for the third pot of coffee to brew around noon
- Did I mention I’m a caffeine junky?
- While listening to Glenn Beck in the morning – anytime I stop working to yell at the radio for a while about how the country is going to hell in a hand basket.
- While listening to Rush in the afternoon – anytime I stop working to yell at the radio again for a while about how the country is going to hell in a hand basket
- While watching Glenn Beck on TV at five and I yell at the TV about how the country is going to hell in a hand basket!
- While trying to figure out what a hand basket actually is and why would I take on to hell?
- Did I mention I’m a talk radio junky?
- During any one of the 4 or 5 episodes of Law and Order that are on TV every day, that I invariably stop to catch parts of under the guise of clearing my head!
- Did I mention I’m a Law and Order junky?
- While reading the fourth news article from the fourth news website about something that happened today.
- Did I mention I’m a news junky?
- While waiting the 15 minutes for my takeout Chinese food order to be ready
- While waiting the 15 minutes for my takeout pizza order to be ready
- While waiting the 15 minutes for my takeout Mexican food order to be ready
- Did I mention I’m a lousy cook and a fast food junky?
- During the 15 minutes I stare out the window at my back yard lamenting that I don’t have time to cut my lawn
- During the 45 minutes I save from not having the time to cut my lawn
- During the time I spend everyday thinking about all the things I wished I had time for!
For most of us there really is time to write a blog if you set your mind to it. Once you get past the inertia you might find it fun. You might find yourself looking forward to writing your next blog entry. You might even find yourself thinking more clearly! And most importantly of all you might even find that your business benefits from these few minutes.
If by chance though, you really don’t have time to write a blog for your business – outsource it!